At True North we’re all about sharing some of our favorite things about Tuscaloosa and West Alabama. Tuscaloosa’s iconic 4th of July fireworks display each year along the Black Warrior River downtown draws thousands to downtown Tuscaloosa and Northport for the electric nighttime display.
There’s room for thousands inside the Tuscaloosa Ampitheatre for the annual fireworks display along the river, put on in partnership with the Tuscaloosa County Park and Recreation Authority and the City of Tuscaloosa. The Ampitheatre and Downtown Tuscaloosa’s “Celebration on the River” kicks off at 6pm with the PARA Kids Zone and tons of activities for the family. Fireworks are slated to start at 9pm.
If you’re into more casual viewing and looking for a place to park around Tuscaloosa and Northport with family and friends to check out the show….here are a few spots we love. Please share your favorites with us on social media:
1. Tuscaloosa Ampitheatre – the obvious choice. Well worth the wait. Best seat in the house. The only drawback is the traffic before and after. The city of Tuscaloosa does a wonderful job, but think concert scene in downtown Tuscaloosa – full of energy, but a bit crowded.
2. Near Matthews Elementary in Northport – just across the river in Northport the stretch along and near Matthews just before the Hugh Thomas Bridge has proved to be a great vantage point for fireworks fans.
3. Tuscaloosa Intermodal Transportation Deck – the top of the deck offers unimpeded views of the action across the river. Likely very crowded, so camp out early!
4. Hotel Indigo Rooftop Bar – another ultimate vantage point for the Fourth in Downtown Tuscaloosa. Located adjacent to the Ampitheatre, you’ll still battle the crowds, but you’ll experience one of the best seats Downtown.
5. Along the Riverwalk – find a space with a clear view back down the Black Warrior along Tuscaloosa’s Riverwalk between the University and Downtown and you’ll have a nicely framed look at the nighttime display.
(photo credit: The Tuscaloosa News)